The Life & Times of Mommiehood

Here I am finding my way through uncharted waters.

my baby story: violette

Leave a comment

my baby story: violette

Just in case you don’t want to learn the details of Violette’s birth, you might want to pass on this post. The next post has a link to Flickr for pictures if that’s more your cup of tea.

It all started after I got to work on Wednesday morning. After arriving and getting settled I of course had to pee (when you’re that pregnant, you always have to pee!). Due to the bright red blood I saw, I called Kaiser since the nurses in my OB office had said to call if that happened. Of course they don’t open till 8am so I had to call the generic hotline. Those folks were clueless. Told me it wasn’t a big deal but that they would have my OB nurses call me back later that morning. (The nurse I talked to actually told me that if I saw a hand I should call 9-1-1 … um, okay?!?! … so not helpful). Waste of time calling them, should have just waited till 8am and called my OB office.

While waiting for a call back a few of the Braxton Hicks contractions started getting a bit more like they might be real contractions, but I still wasn’t so certain. After another trip to the bathroom, this time the blood being a bit mucousy, I started to think things might be starting and baby would come that day. Now the decision was whether or not to stay at work or go home. I’d called Andy before I even called the hotline figuring he wouldn’t want to be all the way in Boulder if they told me to head in to the hospital, so he was a home already.

Keeping track of all the contractions, around 9am there were three in a row that were a bit more intense and relatively close together, about 10 minutes, so I decided to pack up and head home. My coworkers were sweet and asked how long the drive home was and if I needed help. I figured I could easily make the 20 minute drive home and assured them I’d call when I got there. I actually made it home in 15 minutes!

About the time Andy and I were ready to head to the hospital, a nurse from my OB office called. After talking with her we realized we needed to wait to go to the hospital and they set up an appt for me with my nurse that afternoon due to the blood I saw earlier.

Disappointed, Andy and I set out for a walk around the park near our home and then came back to relax some before going out to lunch at Mad Greens, one of our favorite places close to home. Contractions were there, but nothing major and not consistent.

We went to my appt with the nurse at 1:50pm and during her exam she said things looked good, that I was 3 ½ cm dilated and as soon as contractions got a bit more intense I should head to the hospital. She also scraped my membranes and shortly after I had my most intense contraction of the day. We decided to go for another walk. By then the weather had turned cold and nasty so we drove to the mall to walk. As we were walking into the mall, around 2:45pm, contractions started. They were pretty close together, 3-4 minutes, and we walked for about an hour. Since they were pretty consistent and I had to stop walking when they came, we decided it was time to head to the hospital.

First, we called to find someone to take Stephan. He’d thankfully been at school all day, but needed somewhere to go for the rest of the afternoon before our friend April could get him and take him back to our home. Our friend Becki answered and said he could come over to her house and I knew he’d be excited to play with her daughter. Stephan was also super excited that daddie was there to pick him up from school. After getting him, we dropped him off at Becki’s and worked our way to the hospital.

We got there around 4:30pm and went to the Labor & Delivery intake where they ask you all kinds of questions and check your cervix (now at 4 cm) and decide whether or not you get to stay. The nurse thought things looked promising, said it was a good day to have a baby since it was also her birthday, and hooked me up to an IV. I was kind of disappointed that I’d only gotten another ½ cm dilated in the time since my appt, but she admitted me and we worked our way up to the official L&D unit. During all this, my in-laws had decided to start working their way down to Denver and got to the hospital just after 6pm.

I’m not sure about timing after I got into the L&D room, but contractions got very intense, very quickly, and I was having a rough time with them. Andy is an awesome labor partner though and really helped me stay focused and breathe. At one point we decided to call in the nurse and he couldn’t find the call button. Apparently, Andy found the code blue button instead … that was interesting. Several nurses came running in and we were not sure why. When my nurse got there she said I was in transition and all the equipment started coming out of the closets and cabinets. Shortly after, the Dr. came in too. I was disappointed the Dr. was of the male gender, but thankfully he was the polar opposite of the man who delivered Stephan. This Dr. was empathetic and supportive and gentle, and I was grateful.

The now growing team of the Dr. and nurses and my MIL and wonderful hubby all helped me get through those last few contractions and pushing out my precious Violette. I couldn’t have done it without them all and I’m so proud of myself for delivering her without any drugs. No Pitocin, no Epidural … just me, my awesome team and my body doing all the work.

She was born just two hours after getting to the hospital at 6:38pm.


She came out with the cord wrapped around her neck twice, but the nurse clipped it quickly and they took her over to the baby bassinet in the room and gave her oxygen and she pinked up and started screaming some. She didn’t really start fussing till bath time, but I got to snuggle her some before that at least. After bath, daddie, nana & papa went for dinner and she nursed. She did really well latching on and sucking.

Of course due to her fast arrival there was a considerable amount of bleeding and I think them pushing on your uterus hurts worse than the contractions. Maybe it’s because there is no baby at the end of the pain. They tried Pitocin, digging out blood clots by hand, and then finally something else to fix me up that actually worked and has made my recovery pretty easy in the long term.

So there you have it, my baby story.


Author: AngieK

My husband Andrew and I have been married for fourteen years and love living in Colorado! Eight years ago I became a mommie to an awesome little boy and four years ago to my precious little girl. The past few years have been a whirlwind.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s